• Dynamic mics consist of a diaphragm suspended in front of a magnet to
which a coil of wire is attached.
• The coil sits in the gaps of the magnet. Vibrations of the diaphragm make
the coil move in the gap causing an AC to flow
• Coils of wire are used to increase the magnitude of the induced voltage
• The mass of the coil-diaphragm structure impedes its rapid movement at
high frequencies (where there is usually low response).
• A resonant peak is usually found at around 5kHz, making it a favorite with
• Very robust (extensively used for kick-drums)